I had a misunderstanding of what I thought what people were saying and what they were actually saying.
Let me paint the picture for you.
Marisa and I were going to pick up Fernanda from school with Miguel and Morelia. She got in the car and immediately started asking us a whole bunch of questi
ons like what our favorite music is and such (She's real cute).
Then she asked us what our favorite food was, we answered and then asked us what our favorite animal was.
Well, I thought
she was asking what
my favorite meat was (like what animal I eat...I realize it sounds weird now, but I promise it didn't then). Anyways, I was telling her about how much I like chicken and, I mean, I probably went on for a few minutes before Marisa (who was cracking up by the way) informed me that Fernanda was asking about my favorite animal. Then she said that hers was a Giraffe.
Thanks for the help Mar.
Don't be misled. This kind of thing has happened many times and probably will continue to
happen...many times... but this was the first and the easiest to explain in writing.
There are a few things that are very different here in Morelia. For example, the day doesn't start until aroun
d 10:00 AM. Some people even call noon "morning".
The biggest
meal of the day is eaten around 3:00 and is always delicious (at least in our house).
Dinner isn't serve
d until around 8:30 to 9ish.
In the last few day
s, Beth, Marisa and I have done a lot of tourist
things including going to the zoo (which was HUMONGOUS), downtown Morelia, and even a little town called Pátzcuaro.
Pátzcuaro was beautiful. A man named Vasco de Quiroga created a place of commerce for many indigenous people and probably saved the lives of many of those people through the trades that he taught them. We got to go to the place that specialized in copper (Santa Clara de Cobre). They showed us how they create their copper creations (how's that for alliteration?) and now I understand why copper is so expensive. It was SO cool.
We also got to go to the town that specialized in weaving and basketry (called Tzintzuntzan) and the place that specialized in wood work. It was very int
eresting.
We also saw the Temples of the indigenous people. They were called yácatas and they are so beautiful. They are surrounded by "mountains" and a huge lake. I loved every moment of it.
The indigenous people believed in a sun god and a moon god and so throughout the little towns that we visited, we saw a lot of symbols and idols representing their heritage but they were also mixed in with Christian symbols. This syncretism was interesting to see, especially because it seems so alive still.
We also
met with a few other cell groups and met a lot of wonderful people. I am really starting to think that this system of creating community through cell groups throughout the week to build community along with a meeting place for all the groups on Sunday is really effective.
Church was yesterday. The preacher gets very passionate when he speaks and the audience is very active in the message. It is a little different than Abilene, TX or Parker, CO...believe it or not.
Anyways, I will try to blog more often becuase too much builds up and then I can't remember what I wanted to tell you all.
Thanks for the comments! I'll keep you updated!
Oh, and something else we learned was that here, if you invite someone somewhere, it means you are paying.
Good to know.
Also, Marisa is sitting next to me and singing one part of a song that goes"ABRAZAME!" very loudly. (That means "embrace me"). What do I do? :)
Hasta luego!
Emily
No comments:
Post a Comment