Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tope

¡Estamos aqui!
I can´t even tell you how many times Marisa and I keep repeating that. 
"Estamos aqui." 
Sometimes we say it in English though (we're crazy... I know).
There is so much to say, I don't even know wh
er
e to begin. But because I know you don't want t
o read a 1 million word blog post, let me sum up some recent happenings for you.

1. Beth missed the flight to Morelia and had to come a day later. It was sad, but it also gave Marisa and I a chance to see parts of Morelia.
Also, Marisa and I read SkyMall while on the plane and found a very lovely raccoon sculpture that I think would go well almost anywhere. 

2. I got to sleep in until 10 this morning...HAPPY.

3. Our host family is ABSOLUTLEY amazing. But really, they are wonderful. Our parents are Morelia (yes, like the city we are in) and Miguel. They have one son and three daughters. The youngest one is named Fernanda and I belie
ve that she is a real angel on earth. She is remarkable. I'll probably talk more about her later.

   She made this for us. 
4. We went grocery shopping today (in order to 
see the city) with Morelia and Miguel. We went to a Sams Club, it was very Mexican. 

5. Marisa and I convinced Morelia to let us come to her small group bible study that she leads on Tuesday night. There, one lady named Estela told me that I would be the mother of her grandkids. This lady is hysterical, I randomly think of things that she said and then can't stop laughing.
This bible study was a really interesting experience for me. This is probably because it was the first all spanish group I've ever been to. The women 
were wonderful and did their best to engage Marisa and I in conversation. They joked with us, they joked about us, prayed with us, prayed for us, it was wonderful.

6. I'm still in the honeymoon stage of this trip...I love everything...can you tell?

7. We saw a lady with a rat-tail look going on. Marisa and I thought it was hysterical and tried to reenact it.

And you're probably wondering why this post is called Tope. Let me explain. When Sara (our missionary friend here) picked us up from the airport, we engaged in awkward and forced conversation. She told us about the city and we asked her random questions. The first word that Sara taught us was "Tope" (Toe-pay). It is a word for a big speed-bump. 
I thought it was interesting how this word was the first that we learned while here. Maybe this is because I identify speed-bumps with times of caution, transition, or spectacle. 

If this experience in Mexico isn't a metaphor for a speed-bump, I don't know what is. 

We have a full day tomorrow, but I hope to keep you all posted as much as I can. We are mooching internet off of the neighbors, so I'll try to make it soon!

¡Hasta luego!
Emily

4 comments:

bmw05f said...

Em...can i just say that i am so proud of you. I can't wait to see what all God is going to do there. and i fully expect you to come back and talk to me in spanish and me not know a word that you are saying! :) you should totally come up with an amazing spanish name for me... ;~)

Anonymous said...

Hey Em,
So, how many of those raccoon sculptures will you be bringing home for your friends, and your friends' parents? I'd just love to see one!
We are praying for you often. Your host family sounds like an answer to prayer already. Keep those blogs coming. Can you add me to a list of people who get each new posting?

Love to you,
Libby

Anonymous said...

EMILY! Your trip already sounds so incredible! I admire you so much for going despite your nerves and despite all the unknowns. I wish I could meet your host fam, see where you are living and just be there. You will have to show me so many pictures when you get home! Te amo, amiga!

Anonymous said...

Em, I am so excited for you. Your stories make me smile and add a lot of happy to my day. My prayers are with you for the next few weeks. I already miss you tons and can't wait to hear these stories again in person in the fall. Much love
Sarah J.