I am reminded on a daily basis just how little Spanish I know. When I walk away from a conversation thinking that we were talking about a band called Camila when really we were talking about cinnamon, I see just how true this realization is.
Last Thursday, I was at a Let's Start Talking party. It was a blast. We ate pozole (YUM), danced (the cotton-eye joe...), sang, talked, and watched as people received diplomas for finishing their English class.
I was talking with a 14-year-old boy named Alejandro. He was asking about the youth cell group and when the next one was gonna be.
Here's the problem...he talks really fast. There was also music and chaos all around, so this cannot be all my fault.
Anyway, he said something about pizza after the next cell group. He then said, "I'm buying." Well, I didn't really know what he was saying (did I mention that he talked fast?). All of a sudden he left to go play with the other kids and it dawned on me that he probably just asked me on a date.
Whoopsies.
Welp, I'll let you know how that goes later, if that's what happened, that is.
I think it will be on Friday. Maybe his mom will take pictures of us or see us off on his bike. :)
Romantic relationships here are much different than those in the United States.
For one thing, you are considered 'young' until you are married.
Sara explained to me that wedding rings are not as big of a deal here as they are back home. She said that mostly the upper-class wear them.
Sara also said that for a few generations now, women have grown accustomed to a saying similar to, "Your husband is your husband when he is at home with you. He is not necessarily married to you when he is out and about." Obviously I'm paraphrasing, but the general idea is the same.
That one is for you my feminist friends, Mackenzie and Jenny. Chew on that one for a while. :)
The last major relationship-based difference I noticed is that there is no such thing as P.D.A. rules. There are couples left and right, embracing each other as if no one else is around. And I mean, these couples aren't just young. They are all ages, all shapes and sizes. These people wouldn't care if the whole world could see them.
Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it even makes me feel uncomfortable (which can be somewhat difficult).
I know that I am in a neighboring country. It's just a reminder that I am so close to home, but worlds away in culture and customs.
2 comments:
I hope you get lucky on your date. (Is that appropriate?)
EM...
1. Anyone who is not married here is in the youth group. Even like 40 year olds...
2. A lot of people don't wear wedding rings here either and if they do, they are just a single gold thin band.
3. PDA is OUT OF CONTROL..LITERALLY. I almost die everyday because I am uncomfortable.
Just wanted to tell you..we're in the same boat here! haha...love you!
Post a Comment