I knew that Spanish speakers put "ito" or "ita" at the end of a word to say that it is little or as a term of endearment.
I knew the word burro means donkey.
However, whenever I thought of the word "burrito", it never occurred to me that the literal translation was "little donkey". I just envisioned lunch. And now I feel dumb and a little gross.
That was my attention getter. :) Did you enjoy it?
Beth (one of the interns) left on Sunday morning to go back to the states and enjoy a family reunion in Michigan. This is ironic because the state we are in is called Michoacán meaning land of lakes. Michigan means land of lakes.
Do wonders ever cease?

Well, Beth was the intern who was very good at blogging and telling her readers exactly what we did everyday. Marisa and I prefer big picture blogs (so sorry), and so now I realize that I have to tell you what it is we do in Mexico.
Here it is (well the most recent):
Two days ago (Monday), Marisa and I went over to a neighbor's house to eat breakfast. The mom is named Bety and she does a good job of speaking slowly and clearly to us (which makes her one of my favorites). She has three children, but we only knew two of them before going to their house. Bety wanted us to say goodbye to her beautiful daughters because they are going on vacation and won't return until after we leave. Sofía and Ana are the names of the girls and they gave us parting gifts: a necklace made of what looks like seeds, and a toy elephant that collapses at the push of a button. I don't think they are symbolic, but if they are, I would appreciate your prayers. :)

<- The famous aqueduct downtown.
This was our day off and so we headed down to the centro and got coffee and wrote postcards—which may or may not arrive before I get home. Then we went to see BATMAN at the VIP theatre. I loved Batman, almost as much as I love the VIP theatre. Therefore, it was a great day off.
We later hung out with Montse (one of my 'sisters') and ate tacos. As usual, they were delicious.
On Tuesday, Marisa and I hung out with Fernanda (another 'sister' of ours) by playing Barbies and taking turns hiding each others stuff. We went to Morelia's cell group at night where we met a woman named Angelica (I think). Angelica was very interested in how Marisa and I stay away from the night scene and bars. She told us that she has two kids that she worries about quite often. I told her of all you wonderful people. I told here I have found strong friends and made stable relationships with fellow Christians and that you all have kept me accountable. She thought that you all are pretty great...so do I.
Today we went to a prayer meeting. Sara's sister (Shelly) and her husband and children are here too. The kids are adorable and Shelly is wonderful, just like Sara...and I'm not just saying that because I know they read my blogs...as well as their mother. Hello Mrs. Holland. :) I didn't get a chance to meet Shelly's husband, but I will when they return from the beach—where they went today... without us.
Us and our tutors: Montse, Nadia, and Celene

I haven't been able to post for a while because the internet has been down.
There have been some days where I just look at the Mexican person talking to me and wonder why they are speaking Spanish to me.
But there are days that I LOVE and realize that I can understand a lot more than I thought I could.
I have learned so much about myself and about what I might want to do in my approaching future.
I also told my parents that I might want a nose piercing....that was fun. :)
Hasta luego
Emili (how the kids spell my name)
No comments:
Post a Comment